Re: Scoring visuals in GdkRGB

On 11 July, 2002 - Federico Mena Quintero sent me these 0,8K bytes:

> [CCing Brian Nitz, who opened bug #86540]
>
> On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 19:04, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> > What worries me is that I've seen XFree86 advertising true/static-color
> > visuals along with the 8bpp display, but implemented them via colormap
> > switching.
> >
> > In fact, I think this is normal for XFree86 in 8bpp.
>
> Wouldn't that be a server misfeature, then?  It shouldn't advertise
> visuals that it cannot generate without making everything else look
> ugly.
>
> > Are we sure that the same thing isn't true of this display?
>
> No idea.  I played with 8-bit truecolor visuals on a really old Sun box
> a long time ago, but I don't remember if there was colormap flashing or
> not.

If I do 'xv -visual TrueColor' on this 8bpp Sun machine, it will use a
separate colormap and thus flash.
xdpyinfo says "number of colormaps: minimum 1, maximum 1"

On an AIX box here, I can use truecolor and pseudocolor xv's at the same
time without flashing.
xdpyinfo says "number of colormaps: minimum 1, maximum 2"
(minimum 3, maximum 4 on the 24bpp head)

Our SGI machines have similar stuff to the AIX box, apps can install
their own colormap and still no flashing.

/Tomas
--
Tomas Ögren, stric ing umu se, http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student at Computing Science, University of Umeå