Re: Scoring visuals in GdkRGB

Around 20 o'clock on Jul 10, Owen Taylor wrote:

> 8-bit pseudocolor one.  It allocates its 6x6x6 color cube,

That's a crazy amount of pseudo color space to allocate; presumably the
poor slob is using a pseudo color visual because they have to for some
legacy apps.  I whacked Render down to a small handful on such visuals;
the result totally sucks, but at least the legacy apps continue to work.

btw -- you can query Render's colormap entries and use them for Gdk if you
like; that would avoid allocating two blocks of colors from the default
colormap.

I create a relatively small cube and then allocate a range of gray values
in addition; this isn't great, but having a reasonable set of gray values
really helps AA text.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        HP Cambridge Research Lab