Re: keyboard grabs and keynav... (bug 77517)

jacob berkman <jacob ximian com> writes:

> On Mon, 2002-07-08 at 13:22, jacob berkman wrote:
> > if an app grabs the keyboard, and a user uses the space bar to activate
> > a button, the focus indicator goes away and the user can no longer
> > navigate the dialog with the keyboard (at least in the logout dialog).
> >
> > should gtkbutton restore the previous grab?  should it do something
> > different?  should the dialog just re-grab after every toggle?
>
> what evil things would happen if it didn't do the keyboard grab at all
> and just did the gtk_grab_add()?  (gtk_grab_add() has no inline docs so
> i'm unsure as to what it really does)

Does it fix the problem if gnome-session calls XSetInputFocus to actually
focus the logout dialog?

The keyboard grab is probably not really necessary in most cases,
since there is an emergency timeout. But just relying on GTK+ not
grabbing the keyboard sounds dubious to me; you'd have the same
problem if you had an option menu in the dialog, etc.