Re: Gtk+ menu bug 78949

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the inputs, pls. see my inline comments.

> > I have the following queries here:
> > i) Is the above problem a result of queue_resize() of a widget being
> > timed out due to the long execution time of refresh_bookmarks_menu() as
> > stated in case-b above (or)
>
>         Nope - it's a gtk+ bug. Simply that if you add items to an already
> popped up menu, it doesn't resize correctly. In some cases you can see
> there are new buttons at the bottom that can receive partial focus, but
> the window is not correctly re-sized.

On further work around I found the root cause for the bookmark menu
being truncated:
a) When the user adds up a menu item, it calls up
refresh_bookmarks_menu(), it _deletes_ all the existing static and
dynamic bookmarks and then regenerates the entire menu item along with
the newly added bookmark entry.

b) This process of regenerating the entire menu item for a new entry
consumes quite some-time. In btw if the user pops-up the bookmark menu
**before refresh_bookmarks_menu() completes its execution** the menu
will be truncated and the reason being the menu item is not _completely_
regenerated at this _instant_ (as the routine is still under execution).

c) It's verified by the following:
   + I modified the code so that when a new bookmark entry is added it
appends the new entry at the tail of the bookmark menu without deleting
the existing static and dynamic menu items. With this when the user
pops-up the bookmark menu immediately after adding an entry, the menu
will *NOT be truncated* as before.

>         I imagine it's that the popup window itself is not resized correctly.
> The best place to ask about this is gtk-devel-list gnome org since it's
> clearly a gtk+ bug.
>
>         I'd use my patch to gtk-demo to test it too, since it neatly isolates
> the problem as in Gtk+ and it's quick to build.

IMHO the patch provided for gtk-demo does not fit as a test case in this
context, because:
+ In this test code though the menu items are added continuously, when
we pop up the menu it shows up the entire list without any truncation.

+ I agree that the menu doesn't grow dynamically here (test code) and it
does when seperated (tear off). But this is a different issue and
doesn't fit in our case of bookmark menu being truncated.

Thanks,
Raj.

whatsoever is strictly prohibited.