Re: Impact of fix for bug 50339 on keyboard accessibility of panel

Owen replied to Padraig:
> "Padraig O'Briain" <Padraig Obriain Sun COM> writes:
>
> > The fix for bug 50339, setting a focus widget in a GtkWindow if it contains a
> > focusable widget, has caused me a problem with keyboard access to the panel.
> >
> > Is it the intention of this bug fix that a GtkWindow should never have focus if
> > it contains a focusdable widget?
>
> I don't think there is any new problem.

> I believe the simplest way of achieving your goals is to create a
> dummy child widget to represent "focus on the panel" and to position
> that at a position outside of bounds of the panel dialog widget so it
> isn't visible.

Ah, I really don't want to be rude, but that just feels daft to me...
maybe I'm missing something?

To create an invisible child for focus when there's a perfectly real
widget occupying the 'focussed' area of screen real estate seems
obfuscatory.  I understand, sort of, the rationale but the conclusion
seems awkward.  And dealing with things like invisible children
with focus tends to create drudgery for accessibility...

If toplevels really truly don't get focus in GTK+ for architectural
reasons, why not just put a GtkBox of some kind in between the GtkWindow
and the panel objects, and focus the box?

regards,

Bill