Re: Additional GdkDebugFlags?

Tim Janik <timj gtk org> writes:

> On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
>
> > Would it be OK to add more values to the GdkDebugFlag enum in
> > gdkinternals.h in HEAD? (And add corresponding gdk_debug_keys table
> > entries in gdk.c.) This isn't an API change IMHO...
> >
> > I have the following in mind, which I have used in the
> > gtk-1-3-win32-production branch during a recent hacking spree to be
> > able to pinpoint what debugging output I want more closely:
> >
> > GDK_DEBUG_COLORMAP, GDK_DEBUG_GDKRGB, GDK_DEBUG_GC, GDK_DEBUG_PIXMAP,
> > GDK_DEBUG_IMAGE, GDK_DEBUG_INPUT, GDK_DEBUG_CURSOR.
>
> that should be ok, if people include that file and rely
> on the enum values, they get what they deserve.

We don't install the header, we don't export the _gdk_debug_flags variable;
there is no potential API breakage.

I'm a little concerned by cluttering the code too much with a lot of
debug statements; it can hurt readability a lot; can you provide an
example of the type of additions you want to make?

The GD/TK_DEBUG_FLAGS options were originally meant to be mostly things
that someone using the library could conceivably be interested in
when they were trying to figure out what was going on with their
program.