Re: 6 API-ish issues

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 01:53:10PM +0000, Calum Benson wrote:
> Owen Taylor wrote:
<snip>
> >    (The main objections is wanting to maintain the contents of PRIMARY,
> >    the solution here is to train users to use the clipboard...)
>
> Yeah, I don't know what the best solution is here.  Is there no way for
> GtkEntry to highlight the text without affecting the contents of
> PRIMARY?  I regard that as a purely mouse-based transfer mechanism, so
> it would be nice if, for example, just tabbing through a dialog didn't
> affect it, since you're only using the keyboard to do that.  But from
> the little I remember about the technicalities from my Motif programming
> days, I'm guessing that might not be an option...

There is SECONDARY, but that should have a different highlight color.
Since the selection color is themable, we'd probably want SECONDARY to
be themeable too, which means it's unlikely to be done before 3.0.
(Then how do you make a selection for it and how do you make use of it?)

I concur that training users to use the clipboard is the solution. For
most people this is nothing new.  (Now, can we get the emacs and console
users to give up C-w? I'm one of them, so count me among those that will
give it up. :)

> Cheeri,
> Calum.
>
> --
> CALUM BENSON, Usability Engineer       Sun Microsystems Ireland
> mailto:calum benson ireland sun com    Desktop Engineering Group
> http://www.sun.ie                      +353 1 819 9771
>
> Any opinions are personal and not necessarily those of Sun Microsystems

Cheers,
Greg Merchan