Re: Dependency libraries and ABI

Christopher Blizzard <blizzard redhat com> writes:
> FYI, this is what I've been working on for Mozilla.  As a side note I
> would _strongly_ recommend that you guys consider doing this for Gtk2
> for completely selfish reasons.  One of the big problems that I'm
> about to run into is that Mozilla needs Xft2 and if Gtk2 uses Xft1
> then you will have AA fonts in Mozilla with Gtk1.2 but not with Gtk2.
> Ironic, eh?

Suck!

So is Xft2 ABI-locked already or just "will be soon"? (I'm sure
someone already answered this question and I just missed it.)

Xft2 is a definite non-option if we stick to the current GTK 2
schedule of releasing on Monday, though. Keith - maybe it would be
good to break it out of XFree and have it normally distributed as a
separate package? Instead of everyone cut-and-pasting it or extracting
it themselves?

I'm having flashbacks to the era before we sort of formalized how the
GNOME platform worked and clearly drew the GNOME 1 vs. GNOME 2 line
(to get 2 overall platform ABIs instead of N! or so where N is the
number of libraries involved).

Havoc