Re: Dependency libraries and ABI

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Alex Larsson wrote:

> On 27 Feb 2002, Mike Kestner wrote:
>
> > I wish it were the latter...
> >
> > Is there a technical reason why the platform name needs to be mangled
> > into the so target for gtk and gdk?  glib, pango, and atk all seem to
> > have been able to avoid this.  From a Gtk# perspective, the mono runtime
> > deals with simple transformations like s/dll/so, but having the library
> > base name vary across platforms complicates function access for me.
> >
> > If there's no technical reason for the difference, I'd love to see it go
> > away as we switch to the -2.0 names.
>
> There is a technical reason. You may want several backends installed at
> the same time. E.g. The X11 backend and the framebuffer backend.

Also, if you really want a backend neutral name for a special purpose,
surely you can solve a large part of the problem with a symbolic link? I
don't think force-feeding everybody to have such - or give up the ability
have gtk+ installed for multiple backends - is justified though.

> / Alex

	Sander

	I see a dark sail on the horizon
	Set under a dark cloud that hides the sun
	Bring me my Broadsword and clear understanding