Re: Dependency libraries and ABI

On Wed, 2002-02-27 at 11:32, Owen Taylor wrote:

> That is, if a program is linked to the shared libraries
>
>  libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0

>    This means that libgtk-2.0.so.0

I wish it were the latter...

Is there a technical reason why the platform name needs to be mangled
into the so target for gtk and gdk?  glib, pango, and atk all seem to
have been able to avoid this.  From a Gtk# perspective, the mono runtime
deals with simple transformations like s/dll/so, but having the library
base name vary across platforms complicates function access for me.

If there's no technical reason for the difference, I'd love to see it go
away as we switch to the -2.0 names.

Mike