gtkextra and gtk+-2.0

Hi! I started working on porting gtkextra to the new version of gtk. I
found that I've been disconnected from the gtk list too long, and I'm
missing some new things, that I wish I had more information about:

* Until now, gtksheet and gtkplot have been using a backing pixmap for all
the drawing operations. I wonder how can I use the built-in double
buffering in gtk-2.0 to enhance my widgets. How does it work? Any
documentation? Hints? Advice? Some code to look at?

* gtkiconlist and gtksheet use gtkitementry, a gtkentry subclass that
basically allows to align the text (centered, right, left). I wonder if
gtkitementry could be replaced or enhanced using the gtkcelleditable and
the gtkcell widgets. Do you think is a good idea? Is there any
documentation avalilable about them, besides the API reference?

Sorry if these questions have been asked before. Thanks a lot!
<ADRIAN>