Re: Pango installation failure

Raja R Harinath <harinath cs umn edu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> "David L. Cooper II" <cooperdl worldnet att net> writes:
>
> > I get the following error after compiling Pango 0.26 and performing a "make
> > install":
> > -- Installing ./html/layout.gif
> > -- Installing ./html/index.sgml
> > install:  ./html/index.sgml does not exist
> > *** Error code 1
> > make: Fatal error:
> > etc.
> > etc.
> >
> > I suspect this may be why the pango*.pc files are not getting installed to
> > /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig

This is usually a sign that you have gtk-doc installed, but don't have
a fully functioning jade/SGML setup. Unfortunately, broken SGML setups
are very common.

If you grab a clean copy of pango and configure with '--disable-gtk-doc'
things should go fine.

I'd really like to switch our tarballs to be --disable-gtk-doc by
default:

 * It won't break if the Jade or gtk-doc setup is there but
   not fully functional.
 * Its a whole lot faster.

But I can't figure out how to get distcheck to work right
if --disable-gtk-doc is the default.

 * I want to require gtk-doc in order to do 'make dist'.

 * 'make distcheck' now runs a 'make dist' in the distributed
   tarball.

 * There is no way to control the options used to ./configure
   on the distributed tarball.

The only thing I can see doing is to copy the automake 'distcheck'
rules into a 'mydistcheck'.

> > What am I doing wrong? Is there some other missing dependency?
>
> Nothing wrong per se.  You don't have gtk-doc installed.  The part
> that handles the absense of gtk-doc isn't complete.  I think
> index.sgml should be checked into CVS.

Certainly not! It's in every sense a generated file.

It is in the tarballs, but gets overwritten if gtk-doc and
db2html are detected and the docs are rebuilt.

Regards,
                                        Owenp