Re: New release of GTK+ libraries (1.3.15). Please test!

> It looks like libtool doesn't use $(CC) -shared on Solaris, but rather
> uses '$LD -G'. Making libtool use gcc -shared on gcc/Solaris
> might be possible, but presumably it is not done currently for
> a reason.

Right. Unfortunately almost everyone seems to agree that libtool is a piece
of ...

> I'm not sure what to do here; libgcc has always been really sticky
> issue, and there have been recent changes in GCC, so a workaround
> for old compilers may be well break recent compilers.

Using gcc -shared at least on Solaris will work with any version of GCC.

> Do we know why we are getting undefined symbol references when linking
> a shared library? I wouldn't really expect creating an ELF shared
> library to require all symbols to be defined... after all, it was
> only with libtool-1.4 we even started putting dependency libraries
> on the link line.

Right. That's because apparently libtool adds explicitely a linker option
that checks for undefined symbols, and generate an *error* if they are
any. Removing this option (but again, this would probably require some libtool
magic) would also work.

Arno