Re: Scrolled window keyboard navigation

Darin Adler <darin bentspoon com> writes:

> On 2/7/02 8:21 PM, "Owen Taylor" <otaylor redhat com> wrote:
>
> > * Since the arrow keys are bound at the scrolled window level,
> >  they don't get up to the toplevel, so directional focusing
> >  with arrow keys within the scrolled window won't work. This
> >  includes things like focusing between the tabs of a notebook,
> >  or (more important here) the headers of a GtkTreeView. Fixing
> >  this to make these arrows not be overriden by the scrolled
> >  window would require using something other than the standard
> >  focus() method to drive motion by arrow keys in these
> >  contexts.
> >
> >  Control-arrows can be used for directional focusing, but I
> >  think it might be better to reverse things and use
> >  control-arrows to scroll the scrolled window and leave the
> >  arrows working normally for widgets within the widget.
> >
> >  (It's also possible that the scrolled windows should
> >  directionally focus out of the entire scrolled window in
> >  analogy to Control-Tab, but that's probably less useful than
> >  the other meanings here.)
>
> I think this might wreak havoc with the arrow key bindings in the Nautilus
> View as Icon and View as List, but I'm not sure.

Shouldn't cause a problem... I doubt you use the focus() signal
to do arrow key bindings in the Nautilus view. The reason why the
scrolled window ends up overriding the arrow keys is that the
arrow key focus bindings are done at the GtkWindow level, and
the handling ordering is:

 Accelerators on toplevel
       Bindings on focus widget
    Bindings on scrolled window