Re: 6 API-ish issues

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 06:42:23PM -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
<snip>
> I think for the vast majority of users, we will get a lot more mileage
> by trying to make CLIPBOARD work really well, and keynav work really
> well, then trying to optimize for PRIMARY.
>
> I guess it might make sense to add a X-head GtkSetting:
>
>  gtk-select-on-focus-in
>
> (Defaulting to TRUE). In this case, it would turn off selection on focus-in
> entirely. If you are a primary-selection-loving lots-of-mousing person,
> then you probably won't miss it.

This is unacceptable as it presently stands. When I concured with getting
people to use CLIPBOARD I believed there was no conflict between that
method of operation and the PRIMARY method; and there should not be.
There must either be a way to set focus without selecting, or setting
focus should not select at all. The vast majority of existing X users
are almost certainly users and preferrers of PRIMARY methods and a good
number of them use sloppy focus or PointerRoot focus. If a program is
setting focus to an entry when the toplevel is focussed and if that takes
PRIMARY, then the vast majority of users are screwed if they should happen
pass over such a program's window while seeking to paste PRIMARY in another
window.

If using PRIMARY, non-click focus modes, and the mouse is subject to ridicule
by excessive hyphenation, then they're the fanatics who have carried Linux, X,
and their associates this far that you are ridiculing.

Thanks,
Gregory Merchan