Re: Some initial thoughts about 2.4

On Sat, 2002-12-28 at 22:44, Owen Taylor wrote:

>  What could use improvement:
>
>   - Timescale planning was inaccurate; the first dates
>     that were discussed were for a final release in early
>     September.
>   - Not so great public communication about dates, plans,
>     etc, until late in the process.
>   - Too much serialization on one person; it would be
>     nice to make releases more of a team effort.
>     (This isn't saying that people weren't helping -
>     there was an amazing amount of really useful help -
>     but rather that stuff was waiting because I was
>     the only person in the position to look at it.)

Having a public release plan on www.gtk.org sounds like a very good
start on improving all three.

>   - Ports were playing catchup for GDK changes again.
>     (2.4 should have substantially less GDK changes)

Whats the status of the ports anyway ? Is Win32 considered "official" by
now (this was the plan back in March) ?

> Possible features: [off the top of my head]
>
>  - File selector (we have to get this one)
>  - Combo widget (Kris has made progress here)
>  - New action-based menu API (based on James Henstridge's work, most likely)
>  - Toolbar improvements
>  - GObject private data
>  - Full Unicode 3.2 (4.0?) support, including non-BMP portions.
>  - GtkModelFilter (Pretty much done in libegg)
>  - Make RTL text editing really work (automatic paragraph
>    direction, etc.)
>  - Height-for-width geometry management. (Define a new interface,
>    support it GtkVBox, GtkLabel woudl be the minimum.)

Looking back at the "GTK+-2.x planning" thread back in March, here are
some more things that were mentioned for 2.4 or 2.6 back then:

* Real standardization of XSETTINGS/XEMBED
* Icon list widget
* Sheet widget
* Reworked tooltips (#50619, #56291, #62174, #65490)
* Autocompletion and history for GtkEntry (#69613)
* Disclosure triangle widget
* GnomeColorPicker style selection buttons for colors, fonts, etc
* Optimized pixbuf operations (scaling down a lot, unscaled ops)
* Dock widget

Matthias