Painfull glib-2.0 installation on HP-UX

Title: Painfull glib-2.0 installation on Non-Linux system
had a painfull experience today in installing glib-2.0.6 on HP-UX  (10.20, 11)
 Sidenote: We don't use gtk+. We use more the low level memory/string/list.... functionality.

Issue 1) Installing in non-standard prefix
I have to install it in a directory different from the system default include or library
directories. I'm not root and I cannot install into /usr or /usr/local. In fact all our
libraries are installed in /opt/axn/prod.
The path $prefix/include is not added by default to CFLAGS.
The flag -L$prefix/lib is not added the LDFLAGS.

Issue 2) gettext dependency
I had to install gettext-0.12.0. The requirement to install this monster (3.6 MB) is
not nice, if I don't need nls support .
Could there be a flag to disable the need of gettext installation ala --disable-nls?
Because I installed gettext also in our project prefix /opt/axn/prod and because of issue 1) configure didn't find the include files and the library of gettext.

Maybe this can be solved via a configure parameter --with-gettext-prefix=<my-own-prefix>

Finally I figured out the flags to configure it on HP-UX :
export CPPFLAGS="-D_HPUX_SOURCE -I/opt/axn/prod/include"
export CFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS +e"
export LDFLAGS="-L/opt/axn/prod/lib -Wl,+s,+b,/opt/axn/prod/lib"
./configure --prefix=/opt/axn/prod

It was really painfull to find this out. Maybe you can provide some more functionality to avoid this. I know HP-UX is a ugly unix. I'm always coming across such problems when I try to install   open source packages  there . At least -D_HPUX_SOURCE and +e are necessary compiler flags to add. But with glib-2.0 you added more trouble on this.

Regards
Kai Poitschke
---
UNIX is user-friendly! It's just not ignorant-friendly and
idiot-friendly. Build a system even a fool can use, only a
fool will want to use it.

These are my opinions, maybe not yours & certainly not my employers :)