Re: suggestion for distribution: mega archive

Philip Brown <phil bolthole com> writes:
> I would like to suggest that since the number of required libraries for gtk
> is now considerable, that the gtk project consider distribution a
> mega-archive, with **all** required libraries beyond a plain X11R6
> distribution, with a single top level configure script.
>
> Certainly, offering the libraries separately is nice, for applying
> incremental patches. But when trying to bootstrap a vanilla system, it
> would be a real timesaver (not to mention hasslesaver) to have such an
> archive.

I did this once (in CVS as gtk+-enterprise-edition) but it took me
literally about 3 days to get it to compile, and it looked like it was
going to break every time anyone changed the Makefiles at all. So I
decided I wasn't personally going to maintain it. ;-)

The basic approach is still in CVS, bitrotted, but if someone wanted
to maintain this they could have a look at how I did it.

The reason it's hard is that you have to make sure pango/atk will link
to a GLib that hasn't been installed yet, and gtk+ will link to a
pango/atk/glib that hasn't been installed yet. Makefile hell.

Havoc