Re: gint64 on 64-bit architectures

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Tomas Ogren wrote:

> On 01 April, 2002 - Daniel Elstner sent me these 0,6K bytes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > is gint64 a typedef to `long long' or just to `long' on 64-bit
> > architectures?  The same question applies to guint64 as well.
> >
> > To know whether long and gint64 are always distinct types is quite
> > important in C++ code, e.g. for template specializations or function
> > overloads.  Note that I assume `long long' is 64 bit wide on 64-bit
> > machines, please correct me if I'm wrong.
> >
> > I'd be nice if one of the 64bit gurus could clarify this.
>
> On 64-bit Solaris 8 with Forte 6 Update 2:
> cc -xarch=v9
     ^^^^^^^^^

this is important part of the answer.

> sizeof(int)=4 sizeof(long)=8 sizeof(void*)=8 sizeof(long long)=8

I think all "vendor" unixes that run on the 64bit platforms have a
compiler swich that selects between 64 and 32 bit apis. On these, the
distinctness of long and gint64 may well depend on that switch.

> /Tomas
> --
> Tomas Ögren, stric ing umu se, http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
> |- Student at Computing Science, University of Umeå
> `- Sysadmin at {cs,ing,acc}.umu.se

	Sander

	I see a dark sail on the horizon
	Set under a dark cloud that hides the sun
	Bring me my Broadsword and clear understanding