gdk_threads_init? (was Re: IMPORTANT: a big problem with gnome 2)

Darin Adler <darin bentspoon com> writes:

> on 10/21/01 11:26 AM, jacob berkman at jacob ximian com wrote:
>
> > however, i don't really understand the gnome program stuff (does
> > anyone?), so there could be a better way of doing it there.  or,
> > gnome-vfs could do its thread initialization stuff lazily - i don't know
> > if this is realistic or not.
>
> I think that gnome-vfs probably could do its thread initialization lazily.
> But that still doesn't guarantee it will happen after gtk_init, does it?

While I don't think initializing GNOME really should initialize
threading (~10% performance hit from glib and libc overhead), it
might make sense to remove the automatic g_thread_init() =>
GDK uses thread mutexes and force people to call gdk_threads_init()
separately.

 - Pro: people not threading their GUI don't need to learn the
   GDK thread rules. (With Bonobo and it's reentrancy fun/hell the
   only way to get the thread rules right is to unlock GDK
   around every CORBA call.)

 - Con: People actually using GDK threading would start crashing
   misbehaving until they figured out they needed to add
   gdk_threads_init().