Re: misc. properties

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, James Henstridge wrote:

> On 10 Oct 2001, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> > > 	Also I'm somewhat concerned that GtkEntry doesn't have a
> > > 'text' property; but it doesn't seem quite clear to me where to add it
> > > - if at all. So; is this a feature ? should such a property be
> > > registered against the GtkEditable interface ?
> >
> > We already have an "implicit property" for GtkEditable - the
> > "editable" property. All GtkEditable implementors are supposed
> > to implement that as well. "text" could be done the same way,
> > but for now, I'd just add it as a property on GtkEntry. (The
> > difference between these two approaches is admittedly small...)
>
> Even having this as a write only property would be fine.  This would make
> porting old glade files over to 2.0 easier.

i don't think making this property writeonly makes a whole lot
of sense. GUI builders have a hard time dealing with write-only
properties, for one they can't provide the user with appropriate
feedback, and for another they couldn't save such properties.
so bottom line is, write-only props shouldn't actually be used/
supported by GUI builders, and for ::text at hand, that would
completely defeat its purpose.

> James.

---
ciaoTJ