Re: g_string_append_printf

Sven Neumann <sven gimp org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Mon Oct  1 16:01:24 2001  Owen Taylor  <otaylor redhat com>
>
> 	* glib/gstring.[ch] glib/grel.c: Rename g_string_printfa()
> 	to g_string_append_printf(). (#61041, Havoc Pennington.)
>

> if you do such a change that breaks source compatibility, could
> you please also upgrade the library version if this has not yet
> happened after the latest release. How am I supposed to keep the
> Gimp tree compilable against the latest release and current CVS
> otherwise?

I'm not sure how you expect to keep the GIMP tree compileable against
CVS and the latest release until we freeze the API. Trying to
conditionalize is just a bad idea. Pick one or the other, and stick
with it.

If nothing else, trying to conditionalize will end up with lots of
#ifdef cruft, but it also increases the work you have to do and is not
going to be very hard to be reliable.

The versioning of intermediate CVS versions is always somewhat
problematical. Unless we upped the version on every single
interface change, it's never going to "make sense".

Tim likes to change the version immediately after release.
I generally prefer to change it just before release, because:

 - We make more additions than backwards incompatible changes
   so a CVS release between 1.3.9 and 1.3.10 is "more compatible"
   with 1.3.9 than with 1.3.10.
 - I'll remember to do it then reliably.

But essentially, versioning of CVS versions is inherently going
to be nonsensical and there is nothing muc we can do about it.