Re: #59803: patch

Kristian Rietveld <kristian planet nl> writes:

> On 24 Sep 2001, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> > Kristian Rietveld <kristian planet nl> writes:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Appended patch fixes #59803 (GtkEditable needs signals) with option 1)
> > > from the possibilities in my previous mail. ChangeLog:
> > >
> > > Sun Sep 23 18:35:39 2001  Kristian Rietveld  <kristian planet nl>
> > >
> > >         * gtk/gtkeditable.[ch]: move insert_text and delete_text virtual
> > >         functions to do_insert_text and do_delete_text, add signals
> > >         insert_text, delete_text and changed
> > >
> > >         * gtk/gtkentry.[ch]: remove signals insert_text, delete_text
> > >         and changed. Updates to match new situation.
> > >
> > >         * gtk/gtkspinbutton.c: updates to match new situation
> > >
> > >         Fixes bug #59803
> > >
> > > Ok to commit?
> >

> > This looks very good except for one thing -- you missed GtkOldEditable.
> >
> > If you fix that the same way as GtkEntry, this should be ready to
> > commit, but I think it would be best to hold off on this patch
> > until after we get the GNOME 2.0 platform alpha out in the middle
> > of the week.
>
> I don't think GtkOldEditable needs fixage here. The insert_text signal,
> for example, is there and there's a gtk_old_editable_insert_text, which
> contains the same code as gtk_entry_insert_text() (which is called by the
> do_insert_text 'vtable entry' (dunno how you call that) in GtkEntryClass.
>
> If I'm wrong and GtkOldEditable needs fixing, please tell me, because I
> really haven't got an idea :).

GtkOldEditable is almost exactly identical in its handling of these
signals to the way GtkEntry was prior to your patch. It thus basically
needs exactly the same fix as GtkEditable.

Maybe the confusion is in what GtkOldEditable is.

GtkEditable used to be a class you could derive from. When GtkEditable
was converted into an interface, GtkOldEditable was added which
is a class you can derive from and that implements the GtkEditable
interface.

This is used for legacy widgets like GtkText where we don't want
to go through the bother of making them support the GtkEditable
interface directly.