Re: possible deadlock on invalid UTF-8 data
- From: Jon Trowbridge <trow ximian com>
- To: Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com>
- Cc: Daniel Elstner <daniel elstner gmx net>, gtk-devel-list <gtk-devel-list gnome org>
- Subject: Re: possible deadlock on invalid UTF-8 data
- Date: 27 Nov 2001 17:19:24 -0600
On Tue, 2001-11-27 at 14:54, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On the other hand, the advantage of the endless loop (vs. reading
> invalid memory) is that the bug is immediately evident, and pretty
> easy to track down.
Wouldn't it be even more immediately evident and even easier to track
down if it returned NULL or g_assert-ed or g_error-ed or something.
It seems pathological for a library to signal an error by deadlocking.
] [Thread Prev