Re: out-of-memory [was Re: glib CVS ?]

DINH Viet Hoa <dinh viet hoa free fr> writes:

> > With the GLib-2.0 changes we've tried to address this issue
> > as much as possible without causing ourselves nightmares.
>
> Is the second version not an occasion to changes these stuff ?

GLib was originally designed as a basis for programming possibly very
large and complicated applications; having virtually every function
able to fail due to out-of-memory errors would not accomplish that
goal.

Plus, we've tried to strive for almost 100% backwards compatibility in
GLib-2.0 since there is a _lot_ of code out their using GLib-1.2.

> I have to conclude that I have to use a more powerful library
> in order to fit my needs.

I'm not sure "more powerful" is the right term. But perhaps you do
need a different library. You might want to look at:

 http://www.freetype.org/mlib/index.html

It has some of the same features as the core of Glib (data structures,
portability wrappers) but is a much smaller and simpler library with
an emphasis on robustness.