Re: glib CVS ?

On Sat, 24 Nov 2001, DINH V. Hoa wrote:

> On 24 Nov 2001 17:08:45 +0100
> Sven Neumann <sven gimp org> wrote:
>
> > you could plug your own memory allocation routines into the glib memory
> > system (it has hooks that allow you to do so without patching). It will
> > be non-trivial however to gracefully recover from a failed memory
> > allocation. Glib-2.0 has g_try_malloc() that you can use in your own
> > routines wherever it makes sense.
>
> GString should be changed in order to use these
> g_try_realloc/g_try_malloc in order to recover from failed memory
> allocation, don't you think so ?

nope, GString's API doesn't have any provisions for reporting errors
ala "don't use me i couldn't allocate enough memory".
a good example of where g_try_malloc() is apropriate is the pixbuf
besides various other reasons for why an image couldn't get loaded,
and the allocation failing my very well be due to a broken image
file (say it told you to allocater space for 65535*65535 pixels).

---
ciaoTJ