Re: PangoXft and PangoFT2 patch from hell

On Sun, 18 Nov 2001, Hans Breuer wrote:

> At 11:22 17.11.01 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> >Sven Neumann <sven gimp org> writes:

> But it doesn't build out of the box (after an hour of work) on win32/msvc.

Sorry about that. I didn't have time to test win32, since we were in some
hurry to get the API in before the freeze.

> >> I don't see the benefits of this approach and don't like the idea of
> >> wrapping Pango closely around Xft.
> >> [...]
> Me neither but I guess it's too late now :)
>
> > [...]
> >
> >On systems using Linux, MiniXft is clearly the right way to go.
> >On Win32 systems, we might want to eventually investigate some
> >sort of mechanism where the FT2 library could share the same
> >font lookup system as the Win32 backend. That's too ambitious
> >for now.
> >
> What do you suggest 'for now'. I guess porting mini-xft is at least
> some hours of work. A _really_ short look at the code gave me the
> impression, that it is tightly bound to the *ix way of doing things.

Do you want me to do the porting? I can probably do it faster, since i
know the code somewhat.

> If there is a vision for doing it right the first time for win32
> I would like to here about it.
>
> Otherwise what are the policies for porting mini-xft to win32 ?
> #ifdef _MSC_VER, HAVE_GLIB_H and G_OS_WIN32 .... ?

What sort of problems did it have?

> Or should pango-ft2 simply be disabled for now and worked around
> it on the application level (The Gimp currently depends on it.)

I think we should be able to make it work on win32.

/ Alex