Re: Review of accelerator changes

Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> writes:
> Should we kick the question of what the default should be to the
> useability project? since I don't think we'll really get anywhere
> with the:
>
>  "It's confusing for users"
>
> vs.
>
>  "It's a cool feature that everybody who has been using GTK+ since
>   before 1.0 wants"
>
> argument. Just much not data there.

I can remember at least a few mails to user lists where users thought
this was a bug, and at least a few mails to developer lists where
developers wanted to turn it off due to user complaints/confusion. So
there is at least some data. Whether it's conclusive is another
issue. ;-)

The standard procedure is that when you have a power user feature that
potentially confuses novice users, you turn it off by default, and let
power users turn it on. Because power users can figure out how to turn
it on, and novice users can't figure out what it is or how to get rid
of it. That's why I would turn it off by default.

Havoc