GtkTreeView and row-expanded signal

If I expand a row in a GtkTreeView using the test program testtreeview my signal
handler for the row-expanded signal is called. In the signal handler I would
like to determine what cells are now on the screen.

The expansion of the row may cause a horizontal scroll bar to be displayed thus
reducing the size of the visible rectangle of the GtkTreeView.

If I call gtk_tree_view_get_visible_rect() in my signal handler the size
returned does not take account of the scroll bar.

I am thinking of calling gtk_idle_add() in my signal handler and determining
what cells are visible in the idle function. Is this a reasonable approach or is
there another way of getting around the problem?

Padraig