Re: [Usability] Re: Button ordering

On Sat, 2001-11-03 at 01:21, Alan Cox wrote:
> > "Show me the research" or "show me user testing" is a throwaway phrase
> > that is incredibly hard to argue against but isn't really helpful to the
> > situation. We don't *have* the ability to perform the research for most
> > usability choices, and in many many cases the necessary research is not
> > widely published because its done by *companies* with an interest in
> > being the primary ones to gain the benefit from the information.
>
> So you are guessing ?
>
> The point is that you are proposing a disruptive change.

Seth has explained that it isn't that disruptive.

> If the best
> argument you have for a disruptive change is that its what was recommended
> by two minor OS's while currently we generally follow what the mass of
> people expect then its not much of an argument.
>
> If apple did the work, presumably the research is out there, otherwise
> perhaps Apple just guessed too. Or perhaps they picked one because it didnt
> seem to matter much.

I can believe that it's hard to find the experimental data on this.

But I am also quite convinced by the 'read-to-bottom-right' idea, and I
understand Seth's point that this makes it easier to keep the
first-choice button in a consistent place no matter what other buttons
are added.