why no gtk_tree_iter_new()?

I notice that functions such as gtk_tree_store_new() take pointers to
allocated, but unset, GtkTreeIters, so in gtk-demo/main.c you have to do
this:

GtkTreeIter iter;
gtk_tree_store_append (GTK_TREE_STORE (model), &iter, NULL);

Isn't there a risk that someone could end up calling
gtk_tree_iter_free() on this. And if there is a gtk_tree_iter(),
shouldn't there be a matching gtk_tree_iter_new(), which could also zero
the struct memory to avoid undefined behaviour.

This wouldn't break the API, but would add a function to it. May I?

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net