Ideas around bug 50554

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago Havoc posted a comment to bug 50544 that there was
another round of comments on the new ComboBox. And that the scope of the
widget should be widened. I don't know the details of those comments yet,
but I think I've got a small idea.

As Owen said earlier, we either have to:

- get non-editable combo-boxes working and deprecate GtkOptionMenu

- not allow for non-editable combo-boxes and force people to use
GtkOptionMenu for this.

Another idea is to:

- merge non-editable and editable combo-boxes into one widget. So we've
got one combo-box which is editable (and with autocompletion) and the
'Windows-style' non-editable combo-box to select options (equivalent of
the 'UNIX-style' option menu).

Do we want to create a new widget which functions as a editable combo-box
and a non-editable combo-box or option menu through the same API? If so, I
think it is the best to start from scratch and design a new API for this
widget.

I would like to volunteer to design and implement this new widget. I know
there is no time left to get it into 2.0.x, so'll target on the new
development version (2.1.x if I'm right).

	Kris

--
Bus error -- please leave by the rear door.
	(taken from fortune-mode-1.0-11)