GTK+ Accessibility Proposed API

Hi folks:

As advertised last week ;-)

We (Bill Haneman, Peter Korn, Padraig O'Briain, and others) now
have a draft of our proposed API for GTK+ (and GNOME) accessibility
which we think is substantially complete and ready for public review.

Detailed information about the GNOME Accessibility Project, background
info on accessibility, assistive technology, etc., are at:

  http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap

In particular, our reasoning for why we are proposing this architecture
is at:

  http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/GNOME-Accessibility.html

Attached is a compressed tarball containing headers defining the
accessibility API and its abstract implementation, some wrapper
implementations of two of the handful of sub-interfaces, and diffs of
the additions to GtkWidget which are required to support this API.  We
designed for low impact at the GtkWidget level, most of the new features
live in the "gaccessible" namespace, and moreover the implementations
are readily externalizable.  However the header files defining the
interfaces are exposed to the GTK+ API.  The GNOME.org pages should
provide more context for the API and how it fits into the GTK+/glib
framework.  Our Gaccessible objects and interfaces are implemented using
the GObject and GTypeInterface models.

What's in the tarball:

 GnomeAccessibility/gtk+/gtk/gtkwidget.c.diff // GtkWidget support
 GnomeAccessibility/gtk+/gtk/gtkwidget.h.diff //

 GnomeAccessibility/gtk+/gtk/gtkaccessible.c 2K
               /* GTK-specific implementation of Gaccessible */
 GnomeAccessibility/gtk+/gtk/gtkaccessible.h 3K

 GnomeAccessibility/gtk+/gtk/gtkaccessiblefactory.c 3K
 GnomeAccessibility/gtk+/gtk/gtkaccessiblefactory.h 3K
               /* abstract base factory class for *
                * creating Gaccessibles for GtkWidgets */

 GnomeAccessibility/gaccess/gaccessible.c 20K
 GnomeAccessibility/gaccess/gaccessible.h 13K
               /* Basic definition of accessibility interface
                * and wrapper implementation (real implementation
                * lives in external library, if present)
                */

 GnomeAccessibility/gaccess/gaccessibleaction.h 4K
 GnomeAccessibility/gaccess/gaccessiblecomponent.c 9K
 GnomeAccessibility/gaccess/gaccessiblecomponent.h 9K
 GnomeAccessibility/gaccess/gaccessibleeditabletext.h 5K
 GnomeAccessibility/gaccess/gaccessiblehypertext.h 4K
 GnomeAccessibility/gaccess/gaccessibleicon.h 3K
 GnomeAccessibility/gaccess/gaccessibleselection.h 4K
 GnomeAccessibility/gaccess/gaccessibletable.h 11K
 GnomeAccessibility/gaccess/gaccessibletext.h 8K
 GnomeAccessibility/gaccess/gaccessiblevalue.c 5K
 GnomeAccessibility/gaccess/gaccessiblevalue.h 3K
                /* Subinterfaces defining accessibility
                 * functions for particular "types" of
                 * objects (e.g. GaccessibleText is
                 * implemented by text widget Gaccessible
                 * instances).  Also wrapper implementations
                 * for two of these subinterfaces (the rest to
                 * follow).
                 */

Questions and comments are welcome, of course :-)

Best regards,

Bill, Peter, and Padraig

------
Bill Haneman x19279
Gnome Accessibility Lab / Batik SVG Toolkit
Sun Microsystems Ireland