Re: GTK_WINDOW(NULL) (WAS: more patches)

On 02 Mar 2001 21:53:38 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> The cast macros are just meant to be a safe versions of '(GtkFoo*)pointer'
> that warn for invalid casts between types. But assigning
> NULL to a GtkFoo * is perfectly valid so t would make sense to me if
> they passed through NULL transparently.
>
> No code can be depending on the fact they _don't_ do that now,
> so it seems like a safe change to me.

There's certainly code (in other libraries if not gtk itself) that
assumes that

        g_return_if_fail (GTK_IS_FOO (bar));

is going to trap the case of "bar == NULL".

(I think the change *is* a good idea (I've used C-style casts instead of
GTK-style to get around the NULL problem before too), but it's not 100%
transparent.)

-- Dan