Re: GTK+-1.2.9 Released

Sven Neumann <sven gimp org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> writes:
>
> > It includes setgid, however, the check does not kick in if it
> > the program has already dropped setgid privileges before initializing
> > GTK+.
>
> it would solve a problem here if the check could be moved
> after the initialization of GDK to give backends the
> possibility to initialize the display hardware with root
> privileques.

SVGAlib redux?

I can make that change for HEAD (it obviously doesn't matter for
1.2.9) - and if you want it you should file a bugzilla.gnome.org
so I remember.

But I definitely feel that having GUI applications be suid root,
even if they drop their privileges is not acceptable for a
general-purpose computer.

It might be OK for a simple single-user handheld or something like
that where the user/root distinction is just being used to protect
against accidental mistakes.

Then again, I have a pretty strong belief that a client-server
architecture is the right one for a windowing system on a general
purpose computer, so the above may not really be saying much new.