Re: GTK+-1.2.9

On 1 Mar 2001, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Vlad Harchev <hvv hippo ru> writes:
>
> > On 1 Mar 2001, Owen Taylor wrote:
> >
> >  Hello Owen,
> >
> >  Could you please commit this before releasing?
> >
> >  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2001-February/msg00475.html
>
> Unfortunately, no, I can't.
>
> I've been trying to nail down the last details of GTK+-1.2.9 for the
> last several weeks, and at some point, had to draw a line, and say "no
> more changes."

 Yes, I'm sorry very much that I brought this issue so late. I hope this won't
prevent this patch from being applied.

> As I said in my announcement of pre3:
>
>  "What I'm looking for at this point are regressions from 1.2.8.  If
>   there was a bug in 1.2.8, and it's still in this version, then it's
>   not going to be fixed for this release; but please report it and we'll
>   fix for 2.0.0. (Or 1.2.10, if we do one.)"
>
> I agree that the localization of the font selector leaves a lot to be
> desired -- in this area, but even more so for languages (like Japanese)
> which requires multiple fonts in multiple encodings to display.  The
> GTK+ font selector doesn't handle that at all.

 With proposed patch, CJK people may choose not to translate example string at
all if it won't make any difference for them. But for non-latin 8bit locales
the patch makes gtk font selector by far more intuitive and easier to use.
 And especially since there won't likely be next 1.2.x release of gtk, it's
very important to catch the train and commit the patch.

 I'm cc'ing this message to other lists in hopes that others will also try to
convince you to apply the patch.

 I (and all other users of non-latin1 locales) hope that you'll change your
mind and apply the patch. It brings NO technical issues - it's safe to commit
it.

> GTK+-2.0.0 simply completely hides the issue of font encoding from the
> user, and I think that's the only way to get a useful
> internationalized font selector for anybody but experts.
>
> Regards,
>                                         Owen

 Thanks.

 With hopes,