Re: [SUMMARY] Fun, relatively simple feature help

On 29 Jun 2001 17:14:44 +0200, Kristian Rietveld wrote:
> On 26 Jun 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> >
> > James "M." Cape <jcape ignore-your tv> writes:
> > > I'd like to suggest it not use
> > > "C-s", or that there is a
> > > "gtk_tree_view_set_find_accel_default" function that lets an app set the
> > > default shortcut for that across the entire app (like the buttonbox
> > > default layout stuff). Save uses C-s everywhere, but C-f is the commonly
> > > used shortcut for "Find".
> > >

> > Configurable accelerators are done with GtkBindingSet - we have "key
> > themes" now.
> >
> > I still think you should just hit the first letter of the item, C-s or
> > any accelerator makes no sense to me.
>

> There are some keybindings like shift + letter (for example shift + p and
> shift + n move the cursor). So if people want to search and they type a
> capitalized P, the cursor starts moving instead of searching. That's why I
> decided to use an accelerator. I think it's the best to use C-f by default
> as James Cape suggested.
>
> To add the search capability, I've to add an signal and some private
> functions. I don't think that'll be a problem with regard to the API
> freeze tomorrow.
>
> If anybody has better ideas, please tell. I started hacking on this and
> hope to have a first snapshot after the weekend.

No, Havoc was right. It should do a case-insensitive search when the
list has focus and the user presses a letter key. Anything more is
overkill, and better implemented only in apps which would require it, as
they would be able to better tailor such a search feature to their
application & user's needs.

    Jim Cape
    http://www.ignore-your.tv

    If the United States Government spent as much on education
    as it did on the military, every student could fail in a
    solid gold desk.