Re: Interactive search capability for TreeView

Kristian Rietveld <kristian planet nl> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> This patch will add an interactive search capability to the TreeView
> widget. Consider this as a first snapshot, there're still some issues with
> it.
>
> How does it work? Give the TreeView the focus and press C-f, a little
> window with an entry will pop up. Type the first characters of the row
> you're searching, as you type all matching items will be selected. Press
> escape to get rid of the window.
>
> Issues:
> 1. only if the selection mode is set to GTK_TREE_SELECTION_MULTI,
> multiple items will be selected when typing. If not, only the latest item
> found will be selected.

This can't be helped, I think.  I don't think we want to even select all
items in multi mode either, just the first one.  Perhaps there should be
a way to cycle through them.

> 2. I think it's really slow if you use it with big TreeViews. Haven't
> tested this though.

Probably, though there's not much we can do.

> 3. The window which pops up is a GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL and not a
> GTK_WINDOW_POPUP. Should it be a GTK_WINDOW_POPUP?

Probably -- I don't think it needs to be decorated.  I think a small
entry in the lower left corner or something, is prolly sufficient.

> 4. I think the TreeView should scroll to the item which will be selected
> first.

Certainly.

> I hope this is a step in the right direction. If not, please tell me, I'll
> be open for any suggestions.

It's certainly a good step in the right direction, but there's more that
needs to happen, and you need to experiment with it some.  Additionally,
I think you need to connect to any key press, and not just C-f.  Also, I
think that the window needs to grab keyboard/mouse, and go away on a
click/tab/Escape/Return or whatever.  Also, you need to be able to set
the column you search on (and allow people to set their own custom func
-- typing Apple and going ot the apple image would truly rock. (-:  )

Thanks,
-Jonathan