Re: Notification of row expansion and row collapsed in GtkTreeView

> To: "Padraig O'Briain" <Padraig Obriain Sun COM>
> Cc: gtk-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: Notification of row expansion and row collapsed in GtkTreeView
>

> "Padraig O'Briain" <Padraig Obriain Sun COM> writes:
> > I am trying to obtain notification of when a row in a GtkTreeView is
> > expanded or collapsed. I have found the signals "expand_row" and
> > "collapse_row".
> >
> > However, it seems to me that these signals are emitted before the
> > row is actually expanded or collapsed. Is there a reason why this
> > signal could not be emitted after the actual expansion or collapse?
>
> These are "signals which are really virtual functions" i.e. the
> default handler does the actual expansion. This has a couple
> consequences:
>
>  a) you can prevent the expand/collapse by stopping the signal
>     emission from a signal handler
>  b) to get notification afterward, you have to connect with
>     the "after" flag set to TRUE, which means "run
>     post-default-handler"
>
> Isn't the signal system gloriously overcomplicated? ;-)
>
> Havoc

b) sounds perfect for me so so I do not have a harsh word for the signal system.

To answer Jonathon's question, in a another mail, of why I want to know when a
row is opened or closed: I need to be able to notify through the ATK interface
that the visual appearance of a tree has changed.

Padraig