cross-compiling gtk

I need to cross-compile the complete gtk package (1.2.10) to the strong
arm processor.  Now I have the build environment working and have
successfully made a hello-world program.  I think I have the necessary X
libraries cross-compiled, so I have all the .so and .a files for
cross-developing X applications.

My problem is that when I specify the target, gtk's configure just ignores
it.  I'm hacking some configure and makefiles now, hoping to have some
success.

thanks,

Michael