Re: Notes when applying IO channel patch

Ron Steinke <rsteinke w-link net> writes:

> > From: Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>
> >
> > In fact, I'd really like to get rid of G_IO_STATUS_PARTIAL_CHARS.
> > I think:
> >
> >  - When writing, we should hide it
>
> Do you mean we should do a partial write, writing everything
> before the partial sequence?

See my earlier comments - I think partial writes that are
apparent to the user should only happen on non-blocking
channels.

What should happen is:

 - All whole characters should be stored in channel->write_buffer
   and/or flushed.

 - The remaining 1-5 bytes of the last partial character should
   be stored in a small 6 byte fixed size buffer. When the next
   write occurs, the remaining part of the character is stored
   in the small buffer, and the one character converted, then you
   convert the main part of the new write.