Selections ...

On Sat, 24 Feb 2001, Keith Packard wrote:
> Perhaps what you want is a gnome-specific agent which transfers the
> selection on application shutdown.  That could be as simple as using
> another selection name to perform the transfer.

        Irrelevant as my comments are to this errudite discussion, when I
finaly get my act together and implement the bonobo selection stuff, I
fully anticipate that one would pass around stringified moniker
representation of what was selected (for all non-trivial cases).

        This has several advantages - such as not minding if applications
are closed, being a single, simple text format pointer to arbitarily
complex data. It appears then to implement some of the nice format
negotiation stuff that X has, without the neccesity of having the end
application available.

        Not suitable for Gtk+ though,

                Michael.