Re: wm-spec broken?

I agree. See:

 http://mail.gnome.org/archives/wm-spec-list/2000-September/msg00037.html

Though no fix for that ever got incorporated into the spec.
(I think we need to start using a bug tracker to track things
like this for future versions.)

I guess one question is what are people doing currently for this?

The spec is clearly broken, but if there is a defacto understanding
of what was meant, then we may need to use that, rather than
fixing it up based on what would make the most sense.