Re: GTK_WINDOW_DIALOG

On 20 Feb 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:
> >
> > Current thinking is that GTK_WINDOW_DIALOG is useless; its only
> > effect, setting the window transient for the root window, is Broken.
> >
> > We could keep it around in case we want to make it do something later,
> > or we could say that a dialog is any window with the transient for
> > hint set.
> >
> > The latter is my current inclination, so I'm going to
> > #define GTK_WINDOW_DIALOG GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL in the near future
> > absent comments on this.
> >

> One issue is how this interacts with _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE (see
> http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/wm-spec/x183.html), though I
> don't think it makes any difference - we can set
> _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DIALOG anytime the transient_for hint is set.
>
> I guess it's possible to have a dialog without a parent onscreen
> though, so this whole transient_for = dialog deal may be broken in
> that respect.

It kinda depends what your definition of dialog is. Transient windows are
supposed to be used for temporary windows that need an immediate response,
like GtkMessageDialogs or file selectors. They kinda break down for
stuff like the Layers dialog in the GIMP, where you can't really say
which window it's transient for, and you have it open most of the time.

I think your current thinking is the best way. Just set
_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DIALOG when setting transient_for, and ignore
GTK_WINDOW_DIALOG.

/ Alex