Re: GDK deprecations

Federico Mena Quintero <federico ximian com> writes:

> Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:
>
> > (Replaced by colormaps, GdkRGB, etc. - will just remove)
> >  GdkColorContext
>
> And everyone rejoiced.
>
> > (Totally useless - just remove?)
> >  gdk_exit
>
> Does 1.3 have a way to completely shut down cleanly?  I know the
> kernel takes care of everything, but I'd like to be able to shut down
> everything properly.

Not for 2.0.0, but once we add multi-display support, it probably
will be possible to at least shutdown one X display, and then, later,
open another. That doesn't imply unloadability, of libgdk - something
people have requested, since there will be registered types,
and so forth.

> > (Evil - just remove?)
> >  gdk_key_repeat_disable
> >  gdk_key_repeat_restore
>
> Ye gods.  What on earth uses these?

Presumably nothing, since they turn off the key repeat gobally!

But turning off key repeat is useful for things like games.

It's possible, with Xkb, for a single application to request
detectable keyrepeat - so you get press,press,press,release,
instead of press,release,press,release,press,release.

So, it may be worth adding something here in the future.