Re: ':' in type names ?

Tim Janik <timj gtk org> writes:

> the type system currently just allowes [A-Za-z0-9+_-] for type names,
> and assumes that '-' == '+' == '_', i.e. these characters are not going
> to be used to make two type names distinct, so LBs can do s/[+-_]/_/ or
> s/[+-_]/-/, depending on what is appropriate.
> as to why not allowing other characters in type names, think of LBs
> mapping type names into language symbols, e.g. C++:
> class Martin:Baulig { } simply isn't going to work (Martin:Baulig
> is _not_ one identifier, whereas Martin_Baulig is).

Hmm, but where's the difference between '-', '+' and ':' - all of them are
not allowed in C or C++ type names.

Can't C++ or C just map s/[+:_-]/_/ ?

Btw. my problem with the ':' is that I think that '+', '-' and '_' look very
weird in a CORBA type name - and I'm using it in a scripting language which
normally uses '-' to separate words in indentifiers 'foo-test-string'. So
I wanted to use CORBA names like 'Bonobo:PropertyBag:getValue' or
'Bonobo:ActivationResultType:activation-result-object' - where
'Bonobo:ActivationResultType' is the type name.

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)