Re: properties

On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 03:10:58PM +0200, Tim Janik wrote:
> > 50212  Copying param information is not necessary [X]
> >   Notes:    Alex is looking into quantifying the wastage here.
> >   Puntable:
> >   Breakage: Theoretical, probably not actual.
> >   Time:     5 minutes + time to decide
>
> the time estimated here is a gross misguess. issues involved:
> 1) API consistency, we don't take over user strings anywhere in
>    our API without loud flagging of doing so, examples:
> 2) taking over static strings silently would be a major convention
>    change, i don't apprechiate the idea for two reasons:
> 3) the breakage involved won't be huge for gtk proper i assume, but i
>    guess there's a bunch of (plugin) code in beast that'll have to
>    change if we broke semantics of currently existing functions

The solution here seems pretty obvious to me, but that's probably because
i'm working on an application (not a library).

As an application writer (and there are a lot more people like me than
library developers), it seems like a complete waste of time to document
my internal object properties.  My project just isn't that big.  So far
i have 23 properties, and they all looks like this:

  g_object_class_install_property (object_class,
                                   PROP_RIGHT,
                                   g_param_spec_object ("right",
							"",
							"",
							APP_IP_NAME_TYPE,
							G_PARAM_READABLE|G_PARAM_WRITABLE));
  g_object_class_install_property (object_class,
                                   PROP_INITIATOR,
                                   g_param_spec_enum ("initiator",
						     "",
						     "",
						      AppIpInitiatorEnumType,
						      IP_INITIATOR_UNSET,
						      G_PARAM_READABLE|G_PARAM_WRITABLE));

So i'd prefer to supply the nick & blurb via a separate callback,
or you can load them from a file or something.

--
Get self-realization at <http://sahajayoga.org> ... <http://why-compete.org> ?
  Victory to the Divine Mother!!