Re: ref counting

On 24 Aug 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Joshua N Pritikin <vishnu pobox com> writes:
> > With some many problems in the library, i can't fix my own problems.  :-(
> >

> You have read the message that GTK 1.3.x prints out on startup haven't
> you:
>
>   g_message (""              "YOU ARE USING THE DEVEL BRANCH 1.3.x OF
>  GTK+ WHICH IS CURRENTLY\n"
>              "                UNDER HEAVY DEVELOPMENT AND FREQUENTLY
>  INTRODUCES INSTABILITIES.\n"
>              "                if you don't know why you are getting
>  this, you probably want to\n"
>              "                use the stable branch which can be
>  retrived from\n"
>              "                ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/v1.2/ or via
>  CVS with\n"
>              "                cvs checkout -r glib-1-2 glib; cvs
>  checkout -r gtk-1-2 gtk+");
>
> We appreciate the bug reports, please keep filing them (preferably on
> bugzilla.gnome.org so they don't get lost). But you are not using a
> released/stable version of GTK.

is that our standard reply to bug indications now?
joshua has been playing with/looking at/sent in patches for devel CVS
for quite some time already, and he's right in pointing out that we
have major object reference leaks in gtk. there're lots of bugs in
current CVS and we need every helping hand out there.

joshua, it will help us and havoc a great deal more and get things
fixed quicker if you didn't just post debugging spews, but tried
to investigate a bit further, e.g. what code portions forgot to
unref objects here.

> Havoc

---
ciaoTJ