Re: taking struct _GIOChannel private

On Friday, August 17, 2001, at 08:48  AM, Ron Steinke wrote:

From: Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com>

Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> writes:
Well, before we do that, we need to decide if public implementations
of GIOChannel are allowed or not.

(That is, can I create a new type of GIOChannel in code outside
of GLib?)

If they are, then we need to leave the GIOChannel structure public for
the structure size.

A possible reason for this is to create a gnome-vfs GIOChannel to
re-use the UTF-8 conversion code with vfs URIs.

Should I just declare all the GIOChannel fields /*< private >*/,
and not worry about hiding the structure?

I guess we can still eliminate the private fields from the docs
using glib-overrides.txt.

Isn't the traditional approach to this sort of thing a separate structure with the private fields, and a single pointer field in the visible struct?

    -- Darin