Re: New GDK port: OpenGL

Hi,

Derek Simkowiak <dereks realloc net> writes:

> 	I've written an OpenGL game engine that uses SDL for its input (it
> uses Quake2 BSPs for levels).  Now I need a widget library to build a GUI
> for my game.  I want the GUI to float above the 3D-rendered world,
> possibly with some alpha translucency.
>
> 	If I understand correctly, I can port GDK to OpenGL (and an input
> and framebuffer library, such as SDL, glX, svgalib, or GLUT) and then GTK+
> will render to an OpenGL window.  I'll probably need to add some basic
> windowing code, like the framebuffer port.

I'd suggest you use DirectFB instead of SDL, since with DirectFB you get
an almost complete GDK port (http://www.directfb.org/gtk.xml) that has
support for hardware-accelerated alpha-blending. I also consider the
DirectFB API more featureful and mature than the SDL API. All you'd have
to do is write an OpenGL renderer for DirectFB which shouldn't be that
difficult.

Salut, Sven